Monday, July 16, 2007

Building the UI

Building the UI could be a bit like in a "normal", 2D IDE: we grab elements from a toolbox and place them onto a canvas.

Now the toolbox could be somewhere over our head, velcro'd to a virtual ceiling, or in front of us in a virtual wooden tray, or maybe in a virtual drawer in a virtual desk. Because the elements would be represented in 3D, we could search through them as we do through normal, real-world things.

As I personally use text boxes a lot, I would stick the text box element object (or rather a shortcut to it) somewhere I can find it quickly, maybe on the back of my virtual right hand. Once I'm done with text boxes, I peel the element off and throw it over my shoulder.

When I've finished designing the UI, I turn it around and look at all the connectors on the back. Those are created by the objects I placed on the canvas, as well as the canvas itself. For example, there's a tube that comes from the "Save" button, which represents the "OnClick" method. It can basically be connected to anything that should be triggered when the user clicks that button.

I will later connect a lot of these tubes or "stubs" to other objects somewhere in my business logic, and that will bring my UI to life.

No comments: