Monday, July 16, 2007

Collaboration

Big projects are not done by a single developer, obviously.

So how do two developers work together using Immersive Development?

First, they both look at their individual version of the code, just like they do these days, using cvs, subversion or a similar tool.

But when they check out code into their VR space, they can arrange it as they wish. While one developer might prefer the UI on his left, another might want to see it below his point of view.

A project administrator can draw a box and give an individual programmer access to just that box, nothing else. For that programmer, there would be incoming and outgoing pipes in the walls, and he would implement the code in between. An admin might also give read-only access to all code, but write access to only a box. That way, a developer would be able to see where exactly in the system his code sits.

Now because all of this is in 3D, I can rearrange all the elements until I understand the structure of the system. I can pull things apart, zoom in on them, or hover above. I can turn the system around and look at it from a different angle. I can "pin" some of the objects, maybe by adding them to my shortlist.

The shortlist might be similar to a telescope with a little list of items attached to it. Click on an item and the telescope swings around and points at the object.

If I want to discuss parts of the code with a fellow developer, I pass him a shortlist and he can use his telescope to find the objects and inspect them.

No comments: